Seriously clueless

India, private equity and more ...

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Pseud & country

I am writing this during a painfully-long stopover at the Heathrow airport, on the way back from the US. It’s been a while since I blogged. Other than the real reasons – I’m lazy, didn’t feel like writing and didn’t have anything to write about anyway –my somewhat-true excuses are that I’ve been fairly busy and traveling over the last 2 weeks. I was in Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show, where we had our annual Bessemer Associates offsite, and then spent a few days in our Silicon Valley office.

CES is best described as a mela. There are thousands of gadgets displayed by hundreds of companies, across audio/video, computing, wireless, home networking etc. I am told that this year’s attendance exceeded 150,000 people. As an aside, Las Vegas has 5 times the number of hotel rooms that India has! As I wandered across various booths, I couldn’t help noticing that there were no Indian companies at CES. I did see a booth named ‘Goyal Brothers & Sons’, but they turned out to be a distributor! Electronics and hardware manufacturing doesn’t seem to be our strength. I did see hundreds of Chinese companies, though.

The highlight of my Vegas trip (not counting the fact that Adult Video Awards were also held in Vegas, concurrently with CES) was playing golf for the 1st time in my life. This brings me to the main point of this post (actually, I doubt if there is one). Every person in the world falls into one of two segments – ‘pseud’ and ‘country’. Some of you know what these terms mean. For the rest, pseud loosely translates into sophisticated or pretentious, depending on how charitable or harsh you want to be. In the spirit of being MECE, everyone else falls into the ‘country’ segment! Pseud folks play golf, claim to understand poetry & philosophy, watch art films, wear designer clothes and can correctly pronounce the menu in a French restaurant. ‘Country’ people eat using their hands, aren’t really sure how to use cutlery and haven’t graduated beyond Ilaiyaraja music or Govinda movies. I am sure you disagree with one or more of these symptoms, but you get the broad idea. There is some correlation between being pseud and being rich, but IMHO, being pseud or country is really a state of mind. Either segment mostly looks down on the other, though there is the occasional envy as well.

I am basically a ‘country’ guy (hey, I went to IITM) and golf seemed like the ultimate pseud pastime. When the other associates suggested a day of golf, I was quite apprehensive. I was reassured that there were other novices in the group, and that the day would start off with a golf lesson. Lesson or not, I turned out to be as competent and elegant on the golf course as Sourav-da on a bouncy wicket. Conceptually, this game appears simple enough (hit ball in general direction of hole). Much like in running companies, execution is a lot harder than it seems. At the end of 4 hours, I hadn’t completed a single hole and had a sore back. On the positive side, there was good company and cold beer at the end of it all. I am told that this stuff is good for networking, and networking is good for career and all that. Me thinks I should do more deals in South India, where I can bond over curd rice and filter coffee, and not bother going down the pseud path.

19 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orit Gadiesh, Executive Chairman, Bain & Co. recently said “When I want a break I pick up a good book; I don't have to spend two hours getting to a golf course.”

So you are in good company.

But dragging dada into this..but why :)

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Ashok Karanth said...

"Vegas has 5 times more hotel rooms than India" - You must be kidding! I am astounded!

Re: pseud and country - I would like to think of myself as hardcore country. But did you say pseud guys envy us country guys - even occassionally? Really? Scorn, condescending perhaps, pity even, but envy?

Fantastic blog - keep up the good work.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Kaps said...

There used to be another category called wannabe pseud...guess they fall in between pseud and country.

Do you still think you can bond over curd rice and filter coffee in South india? It's gotta be pizzas and coffee pubs.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger AkaRound Peg said...

My husband and his friends call the pseuds the kala goras!

And quite possibly Cairo probably has more hotel rooms than whole of India!

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post :) Especially the bit about psueds - apart from the ones that you have mentioned I would also like to add that psueds claim to know good wine from bad wine. And that beer is for "country" folks :)

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!

pretty refreshing to see a country dude with tat profile. :)

This is wat i call sticking to ya roots!

Pradeep

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger louie said...

Number of approved hotel rooms in India as per Dept. of tourism's 2001 report = 103,973(http://www.indiastat.com/india/ShowDataSec.asp?secid=392508&ptid=119)

Number of hotel rooms in Las vegas = 124,270 (http://govegas.about.com/cs/faqs/l/blfunfacts.htm)

What is really surprising is that the average nightly room rate is $66 in LV, while in India it is more than double at $140

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous stock tips said...

Hi,
Seems like it’s a nice blog. So let us also add something useful in it.Trading in volatile market can be very fruitful also if we follow technical levels closely. It’s a common saying that stock market can change fortune in either way. But now the question is how to earn money from the Indian stock market.

Traders are advised to strictly follow technical analysts and investors can follow fundamental analysis. Many analysts say it’s not wise to follow technical and fundamental analysis together. But we say what the problem is if one does so? As more knowledge will add up things will not have any negative impact.
Stock Tips | Commodity Tips

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Share and Earn said...

I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related info. The site ended up being truly simple to access.
Intraday Nifty Future Tips
Share market tips
Share and Earn.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger magestore said...

Magento modules
Magento
Magento gift card extension
Magento blog
Magento tutorials
Magento affiliate extension
Magento menu extension
Magento SEO extension
Magento Auction extension
Magento ajax cart
magento one page checkout

Magento tutorial for beginners

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magento Jewelry Theme
Magento Printing Website Theme
Responsive Magento Themes for multi-purpose website
Sport Store Magento Theme
Magento Furniture Theme
Magento Facebook Login
Magento color swatch extension
Magento Quick View Extension
Magento Order Upload Extension
Magento Ajax Cart Pro Extension
Magento Ajax Search Autocomplete and Suggest
Magento One Step Checkout
Magento Mega Menu
Magento Themes
Magento Extensions

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Daeng Adi Supriadi said...

nice post

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel fervently about this and I like learning about this subject. I am using a mobile app to my business. And I think that this is a useful website t share with you: Simicart - Best Magento Mobile Shopping apps

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel fervently about this and I like learning about this subject. I am using a mobile app to my business. And I think that this is a useful website to share with you: Mobile Shopping Apps

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have FREE Magento mobile shopping apps and useful advices on mobile marketing tips at mobile shopping apps tutorials and tips. We cover everything you need to know about mobilizing your Magento store and your business in general especially discuss Magento mobile apps

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Clara Mellor said...


ONGC, Oil India better bets than downstream oil companies.capitalstars

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Clara Mellor said...

The bullion market is also subject to market fluctuations like any another market related security. Investors view bullion trading as a safe haven to hedge against inflation. The bullion market plays a pivotal role in the pricing of gold and silver ornaments all around the world.

Share Tips

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Packers And Movers Bangalore said...


I do consider all the ideas you have presented on your post. They're really convincing and will certainly work. @ Packers And Movers Bangalore

 

Post a Comment

<< Home