Seriously clueless

India, private equity and more ...

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Connectedness

Today was a delightfully lazy day. The usual – late start, cricket on TV (Laxman is God), leisurely newspaper read, blogging, afternoon nap, lots of coffee, good book (called Against The Gods, on the history of risk). In short, it felt like any other weekend, until I remembered that it was a holiday due to Dusshera. That got me thinking.

Around how different festivals feel now, compared to when I was growing up. At home in Madras, festival days certainly felt different from regular weekend days. Navratri meant golu (an arrangement of colorful dolls, kept for 9 days), sundal to eat and visits to friends & family. Deepavali meant early morning oil-baths, crackers and new clothes. Don’t forget the new Rajinikant movie release (though, I personally fell in the Kamalhaasan camp). We also had a fair share of rituals and prayers. While I’ve never been very religious, I quite like the symbolism in most of these. They made me feel connected to friends, family, culture, tradition, history, religion, mythology and most importantly, the broader society around me. The spring harvest is certainly worth celebrating in what is still a very agrarian economy. Similarly, the triumph of good over evil, the love of a wife-for-husband or sister-for-brother, return of triumphant kings after adventure, birth, a new year dawning and the like are good reasons to get together and celebrate.

Like several others, my wife and I live in a different city than the ones we grew up in and are physically separated from immediate family. We lead busy, yet fulfilling, professional lives. We are both quite irreligious. While we observe Mumbai celebrating many festivities, we don’t follow any rituals or pujas at home. These are personal choices that we’ve made, are comfortable with and unlikely to change.

However, I do miss the feeling of connectedness that comes from being a part of these celebrations. Even if I am not a believer myself!

15 Comments:

At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Buy penis enlargement pills said...

It was a pleasure reading your post and getting such useful information that would be helpful in future.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Clear Skin Max acne treatment said...

It was nice going through your entire post. Nice effort and keep it up.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Duramale early ejaculation pills review said...

These are personal choices that we’ve made, are comfortable with and unlikely to change

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Sizegenetics penis traction device said...

Your post was like a smooth going diary for me..It was incredible and enjoyable to read it so far..

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Compare natural ED pills said...

These are personal choices that we’ve made, are comfortable with and unlikely to change.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Caliplus natural anti impotence pills said...

nicely wrote . Very nice article . really good one .

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Caliplus said...

Around how different festivals feel now, compared to when I was growing up.

 
At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Best Washing machine reviews said...

i am not a fan of cricket game. i am glad you like it

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Samsung UN55d7000 said...

I am so glad that you are back. Hope that your vacation was a great one and hope that you will write about it something for us.

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Duramale best premature ejaculation product said...

Another mind blowing post . Letter should be post to every body .

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Share and Earn said...

I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related info. The site ended up being truly simple to access. Intraday Nifty Future Tips

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Commodity Tips said...

It’s really a nice and useful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
Commodity tips
Stock Market

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Share Market said...

This is my first visit to your blog.Your blog provided very important information to work on.I wanted to thank you for this special read.
share market
stock market
Indian Stock Market Tips

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like concept of your post. Very creative post. Best of luck and waiting for some new ideas. I am looking for such useful information and I found here a lot of it.
Buy Property
Sell Property
Invest in Property
Find real estate agent

 

Post a Comment

<< Home