Seriously clueless

India, private equity and more ...

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Investing in India (2 of 3) - Labor arbitrage+

Every rupee invested in Bharat Forge 3 years back would be worth over Rs. 12 today. Infosys’ profits have grown on average at 67% annually since 1999. A single investment in Spectramind returned ChrysCapital’s entire first fund. These and other impressive factoids stem from one underlying concept – labor arbitrage. The logic for this opportunity is simple – 40% of the world’s working age population is in India and China. And for most of the workforce, salaries are as low as 10-15% of those in US, Western Europe and Japan. And how large is this opportunity, to relocate jobs to these countries? Just look at the P&L of any company, for labor cost that is embedded into COGS, sales/marketing, G&A, R&D and overheads. It doesn’t end there. There is labor cost in their service providers’ billings – utility companies, telcos, banks, insurers employ large numbers of people to service their customers. Then, go one level deeper into each company’s salaries and see how their employees spend their money – retail, consumer goods, healthcare, hotels, airlines all have their own labor cost. As long as cost savings more than cover increased physical and virtual coordination costs, several labor-intensive activities (except a few high-touch and critical ones) can be performed remotely from low-cost countries such as India and China. And to restate the obvious, coordination costs have dropped dramatically over the last decade, allowing a thousand call centers to bloom!

Personally, this opportunity is the most boring and the most significant among the three that I mentioned. Boring, since these are simply existing products/services being delivered from a new location. Significant, since this can comfortably scale into the 100s of billions of $ over the next decade. India’s FY05 exports of IT, BPO, textiles, auto components and pharmaceuticals add up to $12.2 billion, $ 5.1 billion, $ 14 billion, $ 1.2 billion and $ 3 billion respectively. At a 30% growth rate, this would reach $100 billion in 4 years! For that much money, I can put up with some boring stuff! (FYI, China’s exports are 6x that of India).

All this is nice, but where do I invest? Let me start with manufacturing, for a change. Auto components offers great potential, since the opportunity is led as much by high-skill engineering as by low cost shop-floor labor. Industry cost pressures are immense, as reflected in this morning’s headlines on GM, Delphi and Dana. I’ve personally spoken to purchasing managers at global auto OEMs who have a target to move 30% of their components to low-cost countries (the math works out to $250 billion). With a premium on quality/precision, timely delivery directly to the production line and turning around new designs quickly, this plays to India’s advantages. The key is to look for companies that have strong in-house skills in product design, tool/die design, indigenization of capital equipment (this can reduce capital cost by as much as 5-10x) and a focus on high-precision components. Earlier this year, we invested in Rico Auto, for precisely these reasons. With industry exports at $1.2 billion, there is a lot of headroom left to grow.

Pharmaceutical exports, that leverage process chemistry skills, also offer similar scope. However, I do find a few concern areas here. To start with, product costs are a very small part of the final sale price, with R&D and sales/marketing being far larger cost heads. There are also regulatory risks in patent challenges that are very hard to assess. Unlike relatively stable car (and component) prices, drug prices tend to crash once they go off-patent, potentially squeezing margins more than anticipated. To address and/or bypass these risks, companies are evolving new business models around contract research, contract manufacturing and clinical trials. While I remain bullish on the sector, picking specific companies to invest in requires a thorough understanding of each of these risks, in the context of the company’s focus area and business model. I’ll be honest in admitting that I am not a pharma expert, and actively invite comments on this topic.

Textiles are India’s largest export category, in revenue terms. However, the China-factor looms largest here, especially in products with lower levels of value-add. I find the argument that ‘retailers will buy from India, to hedge their China concentration risk’ hard to accept as a sustainable demand driver. I would rather invest in companies that can sustain their market and profitability in their own right, through making finished garments that meet global design and quality levels, at a competitive price. Companies like Gokaldas and Zodiac are succeeding in doing this, and I see more of these emerging.

Now, services. I’ll pass on IT Services in this piece, since this is too well understood for me to say anything interesting. Further, most players are generating so much cash, that they don’t really need growth capital from external investors like us.

The 1st wave of BPO companies were funded in 1999-2000. I compare these to the first 15 overs of a one-day cricket match, played on the sub-continent. You’re in early. Huge opportunity (hardly any fielders outside the circle, docile wicket). The strategy is to get going quickly and make the most of it. Who cares about sound technique. Someone else can consolidate the innings later! My test for separating these first-15-overs deals from later ones is very simple – do a ctrl-F for words such as ‘profit’ or ‘margins’ in any press release on both the entry and exit. If you get zero results, there you go. These are top-line and potential driven, similar to internet deals in the days gone by. An astute reader would figure out that Skype falls into this category!

BPO today is more of a test match. Minor details such as cost and profitability matter. Consolidation and big-getting-bigger are imminent. While I wish I were investing 5 years ago, I have to live with what I have now. The basic horizontal services – data entry, customer service, transaction processing – are well covered by the incumbents. There is a second wave of more focused, niche BPO services companies that are emerging. I find the KPO phrase quite contrived (When was the last time you used the phrase ‘knowledge process’ in everyday conversation, with a straight face? If you did, my condolences!). Like web 2.0, it is a good catch-phrase that may yield higher valuations from the unsuspecting. The main challenges facing these niche-BPO companies are scalability, a much harder selling process and people-retention. Niches are called that for a good reason. Several such areas are amenable to companies reaching $10+ million revenue, but not a lot more. Further, individual contracts tend to be both project-like (as opposed to ongoing processes) and small (I’ve heard of 1 FTE contracts), in areas such as analytics and research. Such services are more core to what the client does, making it a hard-sell. Internal teams at the client themselves are fragmented and de-centralized (retailers and consumer goods companies have research/analytics people embedded into each business division/department, making outsourcing even harder). By definition, such BPO companies employ people with higher skills and commensurate aspirations. Such people are harder to retain. A good financial analyst would rather work in a client-facing role with an investment bank, than in a back-office, vendor set-up.

If you are running a niche BPO company, and have figured these out, what are you waiting for – give me a call!

21 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Anand Sridharan said...

I would strongly contest your assertion that we (and other investors) are only looking at low-risk services companies. The opposite is true. We are actively looking for make-once-sell-to-many product companies. However, we are unable to find too many of these and end up investing in other business models.
In short, if you have a product company, I am all ears!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

On a different note, can I ask you a quick question on how does Netli fit in your overall roadmap of India? Mr.Cowan's blog mentions something lik a distribution deal but I am personally curious to hear how can Netli's services add to an Indian company.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Anand Sridharan said...

Paddy: I have a broad idea on what Netli does, but havent really thought about its specific relevance to India (i.e. whats different about internet speed-up in the Indian context vs elsewhere). Rather than make up stuff, let me just say I dont know.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

[Anand] Appreciate your candid reply. Thank You

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to invest in India's call centres - how can i do that? I have heard that you can make what you put in within a short space of time?!

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am surprised that you have not mentioned a word about IT software product companies. What are your observations about india based product companies and startups - number of viable firms, quality of the firms, funding availability, etc

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Car Photography is off the hook at this site.

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Backend Cash Manuscript Revealed Before you buy Backend Cash Manuscript, learn the truth. Everyone else is saying how great the product is, but how many of them actually bought it? Well I have, and I have used it. This E-book is being highly touted by alot of the "Gurus', but does it really deliver? Will it work for the regular little guy? Read my Free report "Backend Cash Manuscript Revealed" befor you buy. Don't be suckered in by all the hype. TheCrazyAffiliate reveals all. Backend Cash Manuscript Revealed

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"TOP Rated" Money Making Program Online The source for information on internet classified advertising and the cheapest advertising method to boost "ANY" business online or off! Think targeted classified ads. Make Money Online using the most profitable state-of-the-art business classified advertising strategies. Profitable Home Based Business

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Slaving For Peanuts-vs-Graving For Walnuts"

Let me tell you a story about me..............................Carael Knight
(TRUE STORY........)

When I first started building my company, MajorEnterprise,
I had started at the bottom. For years, I had worked SO hard "busing-my-hump" for a worthless salary. I mean
No Benefits At All........................................What kind of stability is this? And now, that I look back, the only thing
that comes to mind is, "Man, I worked for some complete "Dummy's" (a.k.a "Bosses.").

The majority of "J-O-B-S" that I have ever worked, I been fired from. I have never been really good at
working for somebody else. I guess one of the main reasons would be that they knew I was humble. Or maybe they
feared me being so intelligent that I would possibly take over the company or something.

They would say stuff to me like "your not being productive enough" or "we need
to talk about your work ethics". It had been times where I wanted to literally laugh in there face! Why? Well, one reason
would be...........................................

1. I have been commented on my "work performance" so much that it would feel strange NOT to be questioned about my work ethic.

2. What benefit will it be to me if I worked "twice as hard" and doubling my workload for still the same pay rate???

3. If I was to get a raise on a "J-O-B", it wouldn't be much because most "J-O-B-S" only give a person cents on the dollar.

4. In life, if I work hard at something, I would rather "bust-my-hump" doing something I love to do rather than wasting my time doing something to make another man richer!

A lot of people won't tell you these things because there "scared" that they may get laid off or have someone think
differently about them. But as for me, I'm my own individual. I'm taking the gloves off! I'm taking a stand to let any individual that feels
like there isn't hope, know that if I can be successful, so can you! Hear my clear, "The only way to truly be happy in life and be successful
is to do what interest you"! Find your niche. Get out and explore new things and opportunites. Find something that you love to do and pursue it.
"NEVER, EVER, EVER, GIVE UP". This is one of the formulas of success! I've always looked at things in clear view in terms of business and personal
finance.

MajorEnterprise

The road was never easy for me but if there are people out there that have overcame hardships ten times as worst as mine, then this should be
a piece of cake for me! That's how I've always looked at it. This is the game of life. Just because a person starts ahead in the race doesn't mean that he
will always finish first. Statistics show that just about every person who is "self made" had to start from the "bottom of the barrel" and "work there way up the ladder". You can too. Being successful and become a shining star in life is not going to be easy "BUT" it isn't impossible either......................................

This has been my true story that I felt I should share with the world..........................................................................

"A Person Never Understands The Sun, Until They've Came Through Rain"........................................Carael Knight

For More About Me And My Company, Visit:

MajorEnterprise

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Automotive photographers are Experts of the trade can be found here...

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog!...Sorry to barge in, but thought you and your readers would be very interested in seeing this...

"If You Knew How To Easily Create One Single Page Website That Earned You $3600 A Year...

If You Knew You Could Create That Site In Just ONE DAY...

If You Knew That This Site Would Be Putting Cash In Your Pocket In Just A Few Days Time...
HOW MANY SITES WOULD YOU MAKE ????"

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone, watch out for a program called 3000 a day the easy way. I signed up for it and they have not kept any of their promises such as the guaranteed sign up or the money back rebate. I highly recommend you stay away from that program as well as their sister program which is a guaranteed sign up program. For more reviews and resources, check out http://www.globalhbrc.com it is a free website with resources, tools, ebooks, software and online business reviews.

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Astermeds.com Online Pharmacy said...

Hello,
This is an awesome blog post. Thanks a lot for the share.... keep posting. Thanks!

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Stock Tips said...

Great work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my web site . Thanks =)

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Best Share Market Tips said...

nice post. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Share Market Tips said...

This is a great post ! it was very informative. I look forward in reading more of your work.
Share market tips
Share and Earn

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Learn Stock Market said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Share Market Tips, Stock Market Recommendations, Best Share Market Tips said...

Great post. Very informative.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Best call center services said...

These are all amazing! I want one with a slide down it at the side, still a child at heart.
data entry projects in india

 

Post a Comment

<< Home