Seriously clueless

India, private equity and more ...

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Why blog?

Honestly, I don’t know. Maybe, it’s the cheap thrill of becoming the first Indian venture capitalist blogger (if there are others before me, I apologize). The hope that there are a few souls who might actually care to read what I write. The thrill of exploring first-hand what this web 2.0 thing is all about. The challenge of coming up with thoughts that are insightful, or at the least interesting. The opportunity to reach out, professionally and personally, through a new medium. All of the above, I guess.

Since May this year, I have become an avid reader of several blogs, including those of my colleagues David Cowan and Jeremy Levine. A few have been extremely useful, as I entered the world of Venture Capital and Private Equity (notably, Brad Feld’s blog). Many have made fascinating reading. Without exception, all have told me something new and exposed me to ideas I’d have never got by limiting myself to professionally-generated content.

Most importantly, I am a strong believer in personal freedom – so long as we don’t harm or inconvenience others, we should be free to think, say and do as we please. Blogging resonates with that belief. I am happy to join this world of free expression and exchange of thoughts.

Lastly, why the title – Seriously clueless? Before you (or more likely, I) take myself too seriously, its good to remind ourselves that there’s an infinite amount of stuff that we don’t have a clue about. While its my best intention to back-up my posts (and investments) with knowledge, the truth is – sometimes I don’t have a clue and at other times, I think I do!

8 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I added you to the VC Channel. You will pick up 300 subscribers right away through the VC Channel.

Let me know if you want off though!

You can read more about it here:

http://www.nivi.com/blog/article/introducing-the-vc-channel/

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Arun Natarajan said...

Here's why "a VC" Fred Wilson blogs:

"I think blogging is the next quantum leap in networking. Today I can "touch" 1000 people a day with the things i am thinking about, deals i am seeing, technologies that interest me, and i hear back from at least 20 or 30 of them via comments or email. That is making my job a lot easier again".

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello sir,

U don’t know me. I am prachi, doing MBA. I m thinking to take my dissertation on VCs. While searching that material only, I got ur blog.

Well I m thinking to take my topic, “VCs in India – Motivations and Expectations”. Kindly, if u can please guide me in this respect… some other area of VCs,

Highly oblige……

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anand,

It's heartening to know that there actually does exist a member of a certain species - the Indian VC :-)

You've got some great insights, keep writing. I think your perspective on the Indian market/ecosystem is spot on. In particular, I find your observations on the technology sector enlightening because I myself am trying to understand the technology landscape in India - what kind of expertise exists, what needs to be built, etc., etc.

Incidentally, I am an alumnus of IITM too (2001) - currently working at a tech startup in Washington, DC and hope to one day create one of those IP-led, product-focussed Indian technology companies you talk about!

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anand

Great stuff on this blog. Truly enjoyed the post on SMS shortcodes

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Anand,

Iam a lecturer, and your blog povided inputs for Entreprenuership and VC in India.
But I do have my reservation that VC's are focussing on high end techie products, while the need of the hour is VC in tiny/small scale sector which is now getting risk loving and also the rural sector and notjust bio-technology.
Do let me know ur opinion.

Regards,

Abhilasha.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Outsourcing often refers to the process of contracting to a third-party.
While outsourcing may be viewed as a component to the growing division of
labor encompassing all societies, the term did not enter the English-speaking
lexicon until the 1980s.
===============
Outsourcing companies In India

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Intraday Nifty Future Tips said...

This is a great post ! it was very informative. I look forward in reading more of your work.
Intraday Nifty Future Tips
Share market tips
Share and Earn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home